
He noted that first came his date of birth
And spoke the following date with tears.
But he said what mattered most of all
The dash between those years (1932-2003)
For the dash represents all the time
That he spent alive on earth...
And now only those who loved him
Know what that little line is worth.
And spoke the following date with tears.
But he said what mattered most of all
The dash between those years (1932-2003)
For the dash represents all the time
That he spent alive on earth...
And now only those who loved him
Know what that little line is worth.
Daddy was my no. 1 father. When we were little when we don't have a maid my parents would always leave us in UP Village. I stayed a little longer in UP because my school was just a block away. I remember going with Daddy and Mommy out of town. You see my Dad was a lawyer and sometimes his work would lead him to as far as La Union for a court hearing. My favorite aunt Tita Tina was also with us. Dy (that's what most of us call him) would always tell me that he doesn't need a car radio because I can talk non-stop for 6 hours straight.
Daddy was also one of the few people who believed in me. He would always plan my future. He would always advice me about life. He also showed us how fun being with your family can be. I can still remember clearly my cousin Thea's birthday party, October 31, 2002. It was a costume party and Daddy was dressed a street thug, I even drew his fake tattoo. We all had fun that day.
I was his oldest granddaughter. Whenever I had a fight with my father and I would run away from home, he was the one who will go and find me. He will take me out and sermon me about my latest mishap then treat me to whatever I like. He spoiled me rotten. I was so confident before because he would always have my back. My parents gave up on me before, because of my antics but he was the one who gave me unconditional love.
The four months that he was sick was the darkest moment of our lives. I remember going to Manaoag with my Papa, brother and Uncle, and Papa received a call from Tito Ricky, I can hear from the phone that he was very distraught and my father was consoling him, he was the first one who found out that our Daddy was dying of cancer of the liver. After the call, my father parked at the side of the road, got out of the car and cried. I've never seen my father cried before. I was paralyzed by the news. For that four months, I remember I was going to churches, attending novenas and crying a lot.
Daddy was also one of the few people who believed in me. He would always plan my future. He would always advice me about life. He also showed us how fun being with your family can be. I can still remember clearly my cousin Thea's birthday party, October 31, 2002. It was a costume party and Daddy was dressed a street thug, I even drew his fake tattoo. We all had fun that day.
I was his oldest granddaughter. Whenever I had a fight with my father and I would run away from home, he was the one who will go and find me. He will take me out and sermon me about my latest mishap then treat me to whatever I like. He spoiled me rotten. I was so confident before because he would always have my back. My parents gave up on me before, because of my antics but he was the one who gave me unconditional love.
The four months that he was sick was the darkest moment of our lives. I remember going to Manaoag with my Papa, brother and Uncle, and Papa received a call from Tito Ricky, I can hear from the phone that he was very distraught and my father was consoling him, he was the first one who found out that our Daddy was dying of cancer of the liver. After the call, my father parked at the side of the road, got out of the car and cried. I've never seen my father cried before. I was paralyzed by the news. For that four months, I remember I was going to churches, attending novenas and crying a lot.
Daddy knew that he was dying but he still gave a brave front for us. I will always treasure one of the last text messages he gave me. I don't remember the exact words but it goes like "beneath the veneer of cynicism there lies a beautiful girl that could love unconditionally." Even being sick my Daddy still has time to comfort me. I remember wailing when I saw him at the ICU, it was the first time I visited him for days. Tito Dodo was telling Mama to get me out of the room because I was sobbing uncontrollably and thought it wouldn't help Daddy see me like that. Even though we all knew that the end is near we were still laughing and joking around, I don't know why we did it, may be it was my family;s way to cope with the emotional stress of losing him.
He died later that night. He died two days before my 23rd birthday.
Now that Father's day is near. I still miss him. But now I know that everything happens for a reason. His absence made Papa and me closer to one another. We had to depend to one another, before Daddy was the only one we depended on. I can go on and on how great my grandfather was. I would never ran out of things to say about him. Ending this would only be a start of something good in me. Daddy was the one who showed me what unconditional love means.
"I love you Dy."

No comments:
Post a Comment